One of the first problems that face a traveler on the stage of planning an independent road trip is car rental. Of course, car rental is not the first priority issue – finding a suitable spot to stay and eat are also important aspects. However, a good car rental deal will be a good foundation for a successful trip. When searching for a car, follow rental24h.com, which is the best way to find your ideal offer. Check out several valuable tips to make the whole car hire process smooth and easy…
Where to rent a car and how to make a contract?
- Choose cars of renowned international rental companies with a good reputation and extensive experience. For example, Avis, Europcar, Hertz, Budget, Thrifty are among them. Try to avoid local companies, even despite the fact that their price is cheaper. With leading companies, you will have to overpay a little, but you receive a quality service with a minimal likelihood of problems.
- If you make out a rental agreement in the country where you travel, ask that it be in English. The fact is that sometimes rental agencies specifically print out the agreement in a language that the client doesn’t speak, which may cause problems in the future.
- Make sure that the contract specifies the amount with all surcharges, including insurance. Otherwise, then you will have to deal with hidden payments.
When to book a car?
Book a car 1-2 weeks before the required date – in high season on popular destinations, car rental is in high demand, while rental car fleet is limited. If you try to reserve a car too late, most likely vehicles of economy, compact and standard groups will be rented out.
In this case, you’ll have to take a premium/full-size car, which has more stringent rental conditions (3 or more years of driving experience, big deposit on a credit card) as well as a higher price.
How to save on rental?
- Subscribe to the newsletter on the website of the car rental company and be aware of the promotions and special offers.
- Experienced travelers say that last minute car rentals are usually the cheapest. Remember that this applies to find a car in unpopular locations and in low season only.
- Choose a rental with a full-to-full refueling option. Its terms imply pick up and return the rental car with a full tank of fuel. Why is it important? Because refueling rates for some suppliers are higher than the cost of fuel at gas stations. Refuel your car before returning, and save your receipt.
- In some agencies, rental terms have a certain mileage limit, which shouldn’t be exceeded by the renter. If you don’t meet the mileage specified in the contract –then you will have to pay extra money. So, choose car rental deals with unlimited mileage option to feel freedom during your trip.
- Availability of additional services and the need for additional payments for them need to be specified in advance. After all, you’ll spend additional money ($80-100 per week) for even such the usual little thing as GPS navigator.
- Protect your car with a comprehensive insurance plan, covering all expenses, including car theft, for the amount of $1,000,000. Make sure that your insurance also covers such car parts as tires, wheels, and glass.
What do you need to know about the payment?
- In order to confirm your reservation, you need to fill in your credit card details. If for some reason you don’t show up for a car at the agreed time, a penalty (no show fee) of about will be withdrawn from the card. Make a cancellation at least one day in advance to avoid losses.
- The credit card must have money to pay the rental and block the deposit for the rental period. Its amount depends on the country of rental, and the car class, but on average $300–$1,000 will be held on it. The deposit will be returned in 2 weeks after the car drops off. If the car was damaged or you have earned fines while driving, the related expenses will be deducted from the deposit.
- Inspection of the car during pick up must be performed together with a representative of a car rental company. Make sure that all the car damages and scratches were recorded in the contract.
- Sometimes it happens that the car rental supplier can’t rent out a reserved car because the car of the desired class is missing at the moment. In this case, you must be provided with a car of a higher class, without any surcharges. However, there’s another feature: an upgraded car can have higher fuel consumption.
Of course, sometimes car rental can have a lot of problems, but the benefits of this service are enormous –the renter gets the freedom of movement and the opportunity to travel anywhere and at any time. So, it’s definitely worth renting a car!